Sponsor Your Spouse | Through Family Class Sponsorship

Sponsor Your Spouse | Through Family Class Sponsorship

Michael Zimmer Published:
January 30, 2021

Immigration, Immigrants and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) permits Canadian citizens or permanent residents to sponsor their spouses, common-law partners, dependent children and conjugal partners from abroad.

You can sponsor your spouse for permanent residence (PR) if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and are married to someone from India or have been living with that person for one year as common-law partners. Obtaining PR in Canada offers your spouse the chance to live and work in Canada, allowing her or him to access healthcare and social services in the country. In order to be eligible for family sponsorship in Canada, there are some significant criteria that are to be met. You must consider that the age limit for sponsors must be at least 18 years and prove that you have a strategy to financially help your family—including yourself and the supported individual in Canada. However, financial requirements for sponsoring does not apply for spouse and dependent children. See Canadian family class sponsorship section for more information regarding the same.

One of the most crucial steps in the process of sponsoring a spouse to Canada is to include the necessary paperwork to show that your relationship with the sponsor is legitimate. In addition to other records, if you are married, you would have to include mandatory documents such as a marriage certificate. Marriages that have been legally performed in India are usually valid in Canada. If the documents submitted are unsatisfactory, an officer would like to evaluate the documents. The assigned officer will ask for more details or may arrange an interview with you.

If you are in a common-law partnership, you would have to provide written proof of your 12-month period of cohabitation instead of a marriage certificate. You have to apply to the Ministry of Immigration or IRCC at the federal level for spousal sponsorship. If you are a Canadian citizen residing in India, you can reside in India during this process, but you will need to prove that you intend to move to Canada with your spouse once he or she receives a permanent residence visa. However, you must stay in Canada to sponsor your spouse or partner if you are a permanent resident in the country.

You will need to apply two different application together: your sponsorship section and the permanent resident status section of your spouse or partner. IRCC mandates that the two applications be submitted together. A family sponsorship application fee is be paid to IRCC during this process. It takes approximately 12 months on an average to process a sponsorship application through IRCC.


Check out Owlspriority Immigration’s Canada Settlement Resources to learn more about ways to finding a new job in Canada, making your initial days in Canada stress-free and confident, etc.

Canadian Immigration NEWSLETTER

News & Articles Archive

Canadian Immigration Eligibility Check

Find out the easiest way to CANADA
Pay Online