Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

The government of Canada has exempted nationals (citizens) of certain countries from the need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) before they can come to Canada. Instead, these persons only need to obtain what is called the electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).


Citizens of visa-exempt (who doesn’t need a TRV), when they enter a Canadian port of entry by air, should have applied and obtained an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Citizens of the USA do not need an eTA or a TRV to enter Canada. However, green card holders of the USA do need an eTA to come to Canada.


Note: To see if what you need is a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to come to Canada, click here.


The eTA has now been made mandatory for citizens of those countries that do not need a TRV to enter Canada. The new eTA system is pre-approval based. Meaning, unlike before, persons who applied for and received an eTA can now enter a Canadian port of entry without having to worry about further screening. For identification purpose, the eTA will exhibit the person’s:

  • Passport and/or travel document information;
  • Name of the person;
  • Date of birth of the person;
  • Nationality, gender and address of the person.


Persons who apply for an eTA are asked to fill a form that consists of questions/information requests pertaining to medical condition and criminality. To complete this form, you will need:

  • To pay the fee of C$7 using a credit card;
  • A valid (at least 6 months from the date of expiry) passport from a visa exempt country;
  • A valid email address, and internet connectivity to fill out the online application form.


Note: If a person, due to physical or mental disability, is unable to make an online application for an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), he or she may choose to do so by other means, including submitting a paper application form.


Validity of electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

The eTA is valid for a period of 5 years from the date it was issued to the applicant, or, until the day either one (or more) of the following has materialized:

  • The day the applicant’s passport has expired;
  • The day the applicant was issued a new eTA;
  • The day the applicant’s eTA was cancelled due to some reason.


News & Articles Archive

Canadian Immigration Eligibility Check

Find out the easiest way to CANADA
Pay Online