Prepared by Samuel Francis Gills; Shreeya A Pal; Edited by Veronica Laurent on March 14, 2022

One of the best ways to work in Canada is to obtain an Open Work Permit. Open work permits allow people to travel freely between companies, occupations, and locations across Canada. To hire a foreign worker with an open work permit, Canadian firms are not even required to do a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

Obtaining an Open Work Permit in Canada:

For PR candidates, the first option is available. Bridging Open Work Permits enable persons who have applied for permanent residence in Canada to remain in the country while their application is processed. The BOWP ensures that foreign nationals do not have to leave their jobs or the country if their temporary status expires before their permanent residency application is processed. Employers are also not needed to get an LMIA-based work permit to maintain their overseas employees.

A BOWP is available for the following immigration programmes:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Canadian Experience Class
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • Provincial Nominee Program
  • Quebec Skilled Workers
  • Agri-Food Pilot Program

Temporary residents’ spouses and Canadians’ spouses

Spousal Work Permit is the second option. Spouses of Canadian citizens and PR holders are eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit if they apply under inland sponsorship and live in Canada with their partner.

Spouses of temporary foreign employees may be eligible for an open work permit as well. The temporary foreign worker must meet certain requirements, including having a valid work visa for at least six months after receiving the open spousal work permit, among others. Working in any occupation when accepted into an Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP) stream; working in any occupation with a provincial or territorial nomination from the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP); or working in any occupation and holding a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ) are the four conditions that the foreign worker must meet. Depending on the programme, additional program-specific criteria must be completed.

Citizens of other nations that have signed reciprocal agreements

If you are an International Experience Canada applicant, you have a third choice (IEC). This programme is meant to allow young people from more than 30 nations to work in Canada.

Youths between the ages of 18 and 35 may be eligible for a Working Holiday visa. To enrol in the IEC, applicants do not need a job offer, but they must meet the qualifying standards. Candidates for this programme must, among other things, have the equivalent of $2,500 CAD in cash to cover expenses, not be accompanied by dependents, and be permitted to enter Canada.

Graduates from other countries

International student graduates who were qualified for a Post-Graduation Work Permit fall into the last group (PGWP). Foreign graduates who have completed at least a two-year full-time study programme may be eligible to work in Canada for up to three years following graduation.

To be eligible, international students must attend a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada. As a result of the epidemic, the IRCC has relaxed some of the qualifying requirements. IRCC, for example, will allow international students to finish 100% of their academic degree online between March 2020 and August 2022.

Check out Owlspriority Immigration’s Canada Settlement Resources to learn more about ways to finding a new job in Canada, making your initial days in Canada stress-free and confident.

Get the latest immigration news in your inbox!

Subscribe Now!

If you have any questions, please leave us a message!

    Get the latest immigration news in your inbox!

    Subscribe Now!