Prepared by Veronica Laurent; Shreeya A Pal; Edited by Peter Seeder on December 29, 2021

For the second time since its founding in 1867, Canada has welcomed over 400,000 new immigrants in 2021 which was later confirmed by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The department also confirmed that the country has set a new annual record in permanent residence landings for the year 2021.

Before the pandemic, Canada had set a target of welcoming 341,000 new immigrants by the year 2020. Due to the pandemic, it had landed only 184,000 individuals for the year 2020. However, IRCC had announced that they will target the entry of 401,000 additional permanent residents in 2021 as part of its 2021–2023 Immigration Levels Plan. IRCC did this by increasing resources, adopting new technology, and bringing more procedures online. All these modifications are long-term enhancements to Canada’s Immigration System.

Canada has established new schemes to attract essential workers, health-care experts, overseas graduates, and French-speaking newcomers. Another foundation of Canada’s immigration system is family reunification, and the country has reunited spouses and children while allowing more families to sponsor parents and grandparents. Finally, even though many nations have closed their doors to refugees, Canada continues to provide asylum to the world’s most vulnerable people.

Before the pandemic, roughly 30% of new economic-class immigrants were already in the nation when they were granted permanent status, while the remaining 70% came from overseas. In 2021, the situation has reversed, with approximately 70% of passengers arriving from within Canada and 30% from abroad. The IRCC has changed its procedures to make it easier for temporary residents to apply for permanent resident status in Canada.



Some of the reforms include hosting Express Entry draws for Canadian Experience Class (CEC) candidates and opening six streams in May to provide pathways to permanent residence for up to 90,000 international students and temporary foreign workers in Canada.

Since June, Canada has consistently landed over 35,000 new permanent residents each month, with recent months exceeding 45,000 landings compared to previous months for the year 2021. Canada requires immigration to fuel its economy, enhance society, and care for its elderly population. An immigrant owns one out of three enterprises in Canada, and one out of every four healthcare professionals is a newcomer. Immigration, according to business leaders, labour market specialists, and economists, generates employment, encourages innovation, and helps alleviate labour shortages.

In a press release, immigration minister Sean Fraser stated, “Last year, we set an ambitious goal. Today, we achieved it. This is a historic moment for our country, as we welcome the highest number of newcomers in a century. I want to thank all the employees in my department, especially our Operations Sector, who made this possible. Canada is built on immigration, and we will continue to safely welcome the immigrants that Canada needs to succeed. I can’t wait to see the incredible contributions that our 401,000 new neighbours make in communities across the country.”

Canada plans to accept 411,000 new immigrants in 2022 and 421,000 new immigrants in 2023 under the Immigration Levels Plan 2021-2023. By February 10, 2022, Fraser will present the new Immigration Levels Plan. According to Fraser, the new plan might have even greater targets for 2022 and 2023.

Immigration is responsible for nearly all of Canada’s labour force growth. Immigration accounts for over 75% of Canada’s population increase, the majority of which is in the economic category. Immigrants will account for up to 30% of Canada’s population by 2036, up from 20.7 per cent in 2011.

Check out Owlspriority Immigration’s Canada Settlement Resources to learn more about ways to find a new job in Canada, making your initial days in Canada stress-free and confident, etc.

Get the latest immigration news in your inbox!

Subscribe Now!

If you have any questions, please leave us a message!

    Get the latest immigration news in your inbox!

    Subscribe Now!